American Women of Science: Recovering History, Defining the Future Online
The American Women of Science: Recovering History, Defining the Future virtual symposium aims to 1) recover lesser-known histories of women in science, 2) share current research and programming breakthroughs, and 3) discuss opportunities to define a more diverse, equitable, and inclusive future. We hope this symposium will inspire and educate scientists and museum professionals, and support women on the ground. Given the Smithsonian's long history and growth across the 20th century—into nineteen museums and nine research centers—the Smithsonian's past and present provide a unique opportunity for internal reflection and external comparisons regarding the history of women in science.
This is a virtual symposium taking place from October 20–22 and 27–29, 2020. Sessions include a mix of keynotes, panels, and lightning talks.
We are committed to providing access services so all participants can fully engage in this event. Real-time captioning will be provided for all main panels and presentations. If you need other access services, or if you need access services for breakout sessions, please email BecauseOfHerStory@si.edu. Two weeks advance notice is appreciated.
The Smithsonian American Women’s History Initiative, Because of Her Story, seeks to deepen our knowledge and appreciation of women’s contributions in American society in the contemporary moment and the historical past, to stimulate conversation about the ways in which they have changed, and to understand their continuing influence in American and global contexts. The Smithsonian American Women’s History Initiative is inclusive, highlighting the stories of those who identify as women and those who were designated female but self-identify differently.
- 1:30 PM EDT Opening Remarks
- 1:35 PM EDT Symposium Co-chairs’ Welcome
- 1:40 PM EDT AWHI Co-chairs’ Welcome
- 1:45 PM EDT From Graduate Student to Under Secretary for Science at the Smithsonian—an Unlikely Journey Keynote by Dr. Eva Pell, former Smithsonian Under Secretary for Science
- 2:20 PM EDT Tracing Historical Pathways of Women into STEM [panel]
- 2:55 PM EDT The Price of Being a Minority Woman in Science: Dr. Shirley Malcom Reflects on 44 Years of The Double Bind [panel]
This event is not being hosted by the SJR State Library. We are sharing news of this free event because it is related to the curriculum offered at the College and, therefore, may be of interest to our students, faculty, and staff.
- Tuesday, October 20, 2020
- 1:30pm - 3:00pm
- Time Zone:
- Eastern Time - US & Canada (change)
- This is an online event. Event URL: https://womenshistory.si.edu/events/american-women-science